Former CONMEBOL chief Leoz appeals extradition to US

ASUNCION, Paraguay — The former head of South American soccer is appealing extradition to the United States where he is wanted on charges of receiving millions in bribes in exchange for marketing and TV rights to tournaments.

A judge in Nicolas Leoz's native Paraguay approved the extradition order last week.

Leoz's lawyer, Ricardo Preda, has told the Associated Press he is appealing the judge's order and says, if it fails, he will appeal to the supreme court.

The 89-year-old Leoz headed CONMEBOL from 1986 to 2013. He quit after acknowledging he received $130,000 in payments from a former marketing partner of FIFA.

The U.S. Justice Department has indicted more than 40 soccer and marketing officials, including Leoz, on charges of bribery, racketeering, and money laundering.

Related News

Rugby couple put respect in front and center in Olympics

Aug 10, 2016

Isadora Cerullo has become a celebrity around Rio, more for what happened on the sidelines of the Olympic rugby stadium than for her performances on the pitch

Teenager who scaled Trump Tower had past problems at home

Aug 11, 2016

A Virginia teenager who climbed partway up Trump Tower in New York City had a history of problems at home

Asian shares climb, tracking gains in US stocks, oil prices

Aug 12, 2016

Asian shares rose Friday, tracking the rally in U.S. stocks that was driven by strong gains by energy companies and retailers

Search

Deck Biz is an intelligent platform providing international and regional business news updates. You won’t get these insights elsewhere other than Deck Biz.

Contact us: sales@deckbiz.com